Autor Thema: ... Hosting your fangames elsewhere?  (Gelesen 7085 mal)

Giocherellone

• kleiner Tentakelsaugknopf
    • Profil anzeigen
... Hosting your fangames elsewhere?
« am: 19. November 2010, 09:05:44 »
Hello guys!

I introduce myself. I'm an Italian fan of the LucasArts adventures, and of all the related fangames, too!

How do you do?

Excuse me: I don't know German language (and I'm not so good even in English...).

In the last years I tried to collect all the LucasArts fangames ever realized from all the world (you know: I'm a FAN!).

To this end, I registered myself in many forums and I asked to authors and fans to send me what is no longer available on the internet (my nickname is "Giocherellone"). Maybe some of you noticed me on some forums.

In this way I managed to collect A LOT of games (even if not all, and my search is still going on), and recently someone of the LucasForums noticed me. (It is not advertising!)

This person told me that the LucasForums plans to set up a special section for fangames, and asked for my help!

As you can imagine, I am very flattered!

The fangames are free, and all free to download from the internet, so in general I think I can upload them what I have with no problems.

As for you of the MMM forum, though, I thought it was more appropriate to first ask 'permission', and ask you what do you think about.

If you agree, I can upload your fangames, so that these will be hosted in the future section of the LucasForums.

To show these games, they need a brief description. Usually this will be done by me.

But if you, fangames authors, would like to write it personally, there are no problems!

If you do not consider appropriate that your fangames are hosted in other forums, you have full right and there will not be problems.

Indeed I hope however I can count on your cooperation to continue my collection!  :-)

I wait to know what you think and your comments.

Ciao ciao from Italy!

Paolo

Rocco

• Administrator
  • alter Tentakel
    • Profil anzeigen
    • Maniac Mansion Mania
Re: ... Hosting your fangames elsewhere?
« Antwort #1 am: 19. November 2010, 11:13:59 »
Hi Paolo,

I dont know,  :cl
normally we try to avoid direct contact with LucasArts and all sourroundings,
cause we know that they are shooting down many fangames and projects in the past.
And you will never be safe in the buisness world with big concerns, cause today there is a CEO (like now)
who supports the old games, fangames and make remakes,
the other day a new one is choosen and kill all projects under his nose.
So it might be better for a project like MMM, to not stay in the frontline. 

Mister L

• Boss der T.I.A.
  • Globaler Moderator
  • Ehrwürdiger Tentakel
  • "R.I.P. Clever & Smart † 1958 -2023"
    • Profil anzeigen
    • Maniac Mansion - Night of the Meteor
« Antwort #2 am: 19. November 2010, 22:00:44 »
I know Paolo over the internet for a while now.
All I can say is, that he's a true fan of all LucasArts related games and only wants the best for our project.

What does verybody else think?  ???

NsMn

• Midlife Crisis Tentakel
  • überzeugter Paint-Nutzer
    • ICQ Messenger - 404385098
    • Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #3 am: 19. November 2010, 22:03:57 »
I am only a simple member, but I am definitely with MisterL there. I think it would push the popularity of MMM at least a little.

And concerning the Lucasarts problem; Regarding that the project already IS very well-known and yet we haven't had any direct confrontation with LA, I doubt that this would make such a huge difference.
« Letzte Änderung: 19. November 2010, 22:05:38 von NsMn »

Endres

• En|dres, der
    • ICQ Messenger - 230191486
    • MSN Messenger - enni_puschner@hotmail.de
    • Profil anzeigen
    • e7p.de
« Antwort #4 am: 19. November 2010, 23:55:48 »
But what's the difference of only linking to the Download-Links like in MMMLauncher? I mean, what if somebody wants to update an old Episode? They have to change every Version available on the Internet. But also most Software is hosted somewhere else, so never mind. :P

Domi:"irc hab ich mir viren geholt.. icq hab ich nimmer"

Bòógieman

• International anerkannter Superheld
  • Globaler Moderator
  • alter Tentakel
  • Grün Tentakel = Running Sushi!
    • Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #5 am: 20. November 2010, 14:24:46 »
I am not quite sure if this is a good idea  :-\

In this way I managed to collect A LOT of games (even if not all, and my search is still going on), and recently someone of the LucasForums noticed me. (It is not advertising!)

This person told me that the LucasForums plans to set up a special section for fan games, and asked for my help!
This sounds a bit like "Let that guy search for fan games, so our lawyers do not have to search them by themselves."  :police:
I cannot believe that LucasArts really wants to officially host fan made games which may violate copyrights of other companies.  :cl
Fan games often use MIDI-files or characters from various games or movies not owned by LucasArts.
So if LucasArts officially supports such games, they will also be responsible for them.
I do not think that LucasArts wants to be sued by other companies for fan made content.  ;)

I think we should just wait and see.  :-X
Schlachtaman Vibrations, UHYEAH!!!

>>>> Ende der Kommunikation <<<<

blount

• volljähriger Tentakel
    • Profil anzeigen
    • Maniac Wiki
« Antwort #6 am: 20. November 2010, 14:28:43 »
I see two opposites: First the only earnings for developer of fanadventures is the work itself (it could make fun) and not to forgett the glory if you can say "i'm the developer of fanadventureX (e.g. MMM Episode)". Also i think it could be a stepping stone, if you plan to do your business/job as a real developer. So its good for your reputation, because a personalchef could see "hey this guy creates a game over 7 years and manage many people and do a lot of work. That's exactly what we need".
The other Side is the daily business. First is that the strategy of companies maybe change (that ist that what rocco told us), and the other one is that hard for companys to manage fanwork. For "Egoshooter Games" (like Quake or Doom) there a lot of Mods (Game Modifcations) which really great. And the Game "Counterstrike" started in the past as a mod of Half-Life. Today it is still one of the favored Shooter ever. So Fanwork can very good for the business. An other good example is "The Eldar Scrolls IV: Oblivion". It was released 2006 and today (4 years later!) there have a biger (fan)community, because there are a lot of mods which modify the game. The Developers Company itself supports, creates and wants mods for oblivion. Also for other games like Fallout and so on.
The big difference to Adventuregames is that no adventuregame has a free Engine.
Many people play often his favored shooter and pay for upgrades (e.g. the settlers addons). This model is for Adventures not possible. Normaly adventures you play only once a time. They don't designed to create mods or develop your own adventure.

So if you create a complete free fanadventures (e.g. a Adventure of Duke Nukem) the comany (mabye) say "great" because" its good for the glory of the maingame (Duke Nukem)" and "its good to rise the community".
But if the game is like MMM a game which is basically rips of the game then it is difficult:
If you as firm don't say "that is not ok" then you can lose your own copyright for the graphics. No company want that. And the company has no "benefit" (only maybe "image"), but the risk of copyright and "bad fame".
One example of benefit: You create a MOD for Oblivion, so that Oblivion (normaly a RPG) become a adventuregame (e.g. Adventure in the MiddleAge) then all people who want to play this mod needs the game Obilvion. So people buy your game, also if the game is from 2006. That's the reason why "retro is in" for companys. As company you have nothing to do as press new cds or selling the game via a webpage.
One example of "bad fame": A real fan know that "Maniac Manson 3D" a free remake of Maniac Mansion. Nothing more. A normal Guy get "Maniac Mansion 3D" on a mag cd/dvd (e.g. pcgames) reads nothing about fangame and think "a its a old game for free like Beneath a Steel Sky or Flight of the Amazon Queen and so on". And after a short while of playing MM3D they think: "WTF! Why is Maniac Mansion cult? Its terriable graphics and has no quality or jokes". So the Fanadventure is bad for the company behind the original (lucasarts). A good example for that was KinqsQuest. The Company has nothing against the remakes of KingsQuest (better Graphics), but for a new KingsQuest they change his opinion about fanwork.
So i think Fanadventures should allways underground epic games.
« Letzte Änderung: 20. November 2010, 14:39:08 von blount »

Giocherellone

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #7 am: 22. November 2010, 10:28:12 »
Hi boys! :-)

Thank you for your interesting comments.

Of course, many of your concerns are mine too, but I'm optimistic by nature.

In any case I will try to find answers to your questions.

Someone else has other opinions on this?

Ciao ciao

Paolo

Endres

• En|dres, der
    • Profil anzeigen
    • e7p.de
« Antwort #8 am: 23. November 2010, 20:10:38 »
someone of the LucasForums noticed me. (It is not advertising!) This person told me that the LucasForums plans to set up a special section for fangames, and asked for my help!

I've looked for this LucasForums-Site and I found out that it is not associated with LucasArts. Am I right? But I also think that too much public is not very good for MMM anyway, no matter if it's on a LucasArts supported Site or not. But if you just want to show them to others, why is it so hard just linking to MMM? Of course, maybe LucasArts would notice MMM if it would be on a big LucasArts-Fan-Forum, so I really think it would be better to let it be. Just didn't thought about that things in past. ;)

Siel

• Teenie Tentakel
  • Maybe a miracle will occur...
    • Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #9 am: 23. November 2010, 20:40:21 »
I've looked for this LucasForums-Site and I found out that it is not associated with LucasArts. Am I right? But I also think that too much public is not very good for MMM anyway, no matter if it's on a LucasArts supported Site or not.
But don´t forget that MMM is a fanadventure series, therefore publicity is the energy that keeps the project alive. However, too much publicity means the end of the project. So in fact, the question is this: Are we willing to take the risk of gaining more public. At least, MMM could also benefit largely from every single person that gets interested in the project.
Die Vergangenheit ist im Nachhinein meist eine schlechte Idee.

Giocherellone

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #10 am: 24. November 2010, 09:21:24 »
I've looked for this LucasForums-Site and I found out that it is not associated with LucasArts.

Exactly! :)

But don´t forget that MMM is a fanadventure series, therefore publicity is the energy that keeps the project alive. However, too much publicity means the end of the project. So in fact, the question is this: Are we willing to take the risk of gaining more public. At least, MMM could also benefit largely from every single person that gets interested in the project.

But as for now you can wait and see ... As rightly said Bòógieman.

The project is "work in progress" and then I need a little time.
Anyway, updates will of course be gradual.

Thanks for your comments, And thanks MisterL for the support!

Other opinions?

Ciao ciao

Paolo
« Letzte Änderung: 24. November 2010, 09:42:18 von Giocherellone »

CarlOS

• Gast
« Antwort #11 am: 24. November 2010, 11:00:59 »
I don't think its a good idea! Sorry. Because think on the developer on Maniac Mansion Deluxe or KingsQuest Sequell. Fangames are NOT favored by LucasArts or Sierra or other Business company.MMM is for Underground.

PS: Sorry for my terrible English!

Endres

• En|dres, der
    • Profil anzeigen
    • e7p.de
« Antwort #12 am: 24. November 2010, 15:53:27 »
Just fitting a littlebit:

Giocherellone

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #13 am: 20. Dezember 2010, 09:55:41 »
Hello, guys!

I wish everyone joyous and peaceful holidays, and a wonderful 2011!

On this occasion I put here the link to the project I mentioned.

http://mixnmojo.com/media/filecategories/Fan-Games

Other games will soon be added to those already present.

Your comments are welcome, as well as any corrections to be done for my unintentional inaccuracies.

My proposal for hosting your games is still valid.

See you soon!

Paolo  :)

JPS

• Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #14 am: 20. Dezember 2010, 16:40:21 »
Oh, you meant mixnmojo.com? I think that's okay.