Autor Thema: Our international board sucks!!!  (Gelesen 3898 mal)

JPS

• Midlife Crisis Tentakel
    • Profil anzeigen
Our international board sucks!!!
« am: 19. August 2009, 21:21:55 »
Imagine, you would be from USA and you are interested in Maniac Mansion Mania. The projects looks interesting on you  and
you want to get part of it. So you hit www.maniac-mansion-manion.com. The first thing you notice is that the default
language is German. That's no problem, cause you can easily switch the site to English. Then you go to the episodes section
to play some of the games, but most of the episodes are available in German only, even the discription is in German.
Now you want to know more about the game world, cause you want to understand the most important inside references
when you play later games. Of course the whole section is in German, even in Wiki. Sadly you find the international area,
where all the translated games are listed. But this section makes nothing better. It is only an automatic list sorted through
the category and releasedate of the games. You don't feel well there.

Even after all those hurdles you still want to be part of the project and do your own episodes, but the forum provides
the final shock: The international board. This isn't the English community, this is the translation area. All threads are about
translations! There is no place for guys like you, you feel angry. People from foreign country are totally unimportant,
you can't enjoy MMM like other people, it isn't open for you. Only a very few can succesfully ignore those hurdles.

Our international board sucks!!! Where is the area where international players can discuss, present and get help for the games?
Where is the the section where they can ask about technical problems and show their ideas?
Where is the place to talk about all the things which haven't to do very much with MMM?
Well, they can do that in the German areas, too. But would you like to post between threads, which are written in a
strange language you don't understand? Well, there is no real English community yet. You know the reasons:

-not enough translations
-the international vesion of the site isn't very good
-people in other countries don't know MMM
-Our international board sucks!!!

I think working on this problems is even more important than new episode, cause this path will lead us to new english episodes!
The international area is very important for the future of MMM, we should not ignore this.

NsMn

• überzeugter Paint-Nutzer
    • ICQ Messenger - 404385098
    • Profil anzeigen
Re: Our international board sucks!!!
« Antwort #1 am: 19. August 2009, 21:29:05 »
(I'll just answer in English)

Actually, what's the point of this International Board? Why shouldn't the foreign visitors and authors use the other forums? Imagine, there would now be as many english-speaking authors as German-speaking ones - this Board would be a complete mess, here a technical help thread, there a new-released episode.

1mal_volltanken

• Traue niemals einem glatzköpfigen Friseur!
    • ICQ Messenger - 327646596
    • Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #2 am: 19. August 2009, 22:06:59 »
Yeah!
That's right! I think, it would be really useful if there are all forum-sections in English, too.
Like 'episodes in progress', 'technical forum', aso.
So this site wouldn't look like an only german fansite and more people from other countries could be interested in playing a part at MMM.
Possibly more users, players and developers come to Maniac Mansion Mania and we would get more episodes. That means, this site could grow more quickly.
And this would be really fucking cool.  8)

best greetings
the upfiller
"Tage sind eigentlich wie Nächte...nur nicht ganz so spät!"...hörte ich einmal einen sehr klugen, alten Mann beim Erdnüsse sortieren in der Kneipe sagen, kurz bevor er vom Hocker rutschte.

"Nicht jeder, der aus dem Rahmen fällt, war vorher im Bilde!"

NsMn

• überzeugter Paint-Nutzer
    • ICQ Messenger - 404385098
    • Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #3 am: 19. August 2009, 22:19:47 »
Yea, well, it probably wouldn't be necessary to have an english equivalent to all boards, but maybe some kind of english subtitles to the existing boards.

Rocco

• Administrator
  • alter Tentakel
    • Profil anzeigen
    • Maniac Mansion Mania
« Antwort #4 am: 19. August 2009, 22:25:44 »
100% agree with the first post.
We have a much better spanish translation then english.
The reason is simple, we have one spanisch guy - cossack who did a great job in translating
episode descriptions and other things from the homepage into spanish, (some englisch translations are also his work - big thanks for that),
but we have nobody who leads the "englisch section".
so we need one guy who has very good english knowledge and take care about the english translations for all relevant areas (homepage, forum and maybe episodes)
I dont think that we need translations for every single forum topic, the main thing is the homepage - its on my todolist since the beginning from mmm.
but i cant do that without help.

Indy

• volljähriger Tentakel
    • Profil anzeigen
« Antwort #5 am: 04. April 2010, 23:17:50 »
I just had a look on our international board and I came to the same result as JPS.

I'd like to form a small team of some members with good english knowledge that takes care of the international section of MMM. For example I just started to translate a part of the homepage into english.
I'm of the opinion that Rocco cannot take care of every part of the homepage, but we really need a good international community. So I think that it would be great if some of you would help me to make MMM mor attractive for users from other countries.
Please don't feed trolls.